Posted on 2006-06-28
OK this is a strange one. I recently changed internet providers for our company. Everything went well and things checkout fine with DNSSTUFF.
The problem I am having is whenever someone internal tries to go to a bad address or mistyped address it defaults to our website. This wouldn’t be a big deal but I’m getting complaints, and I would rather have the unavailable error screen come up. So it seems that my DNS has decided that if it can’t find something then they must be looking for the website address.
I made no changes that should be causing this; all I did is change providers.