MS Access SourceObject
Posted on 2006-06-29
This is information that I found out after beating my head for 4+ Hrs. It may help someone else.
I use subforms a lot. In the past if I wanted to use multiple subforms in the same screen area I would use Hide/Visible to get this done. I decided to change the SourceObject of a general subform to make the design form easyer to work with. My first form worked fine and it got me to try it again.
On my second form I did the subform but no records or one record were being displayed after I executed the SourceObject. If I ran the subform all by it's self all the data showed up. I made sure all filters were turned off, but all the data would not show up. I checked the subform info on the parent form and noticed that "ID" was showing up in both the "Link master/child" fields. I set them to "Empty" with VBA code after using the SourceObject but the data did not display. I found that the RecordSource data in both the main form and the subForm had a field named "ID". No mater what I did MS was setting up the Link. I could make the Parent form unbounded or change the field name to be different. I changed the field names and all works well.
I tried all kinds on VBA code syntax.
Me.Subx1.SourceObject = "subF2"
Me!Subx1.SourceObject = "subF2"
Forms!form1!Subx1.SourceObject = "subF2"
Save your time syntax was not the problem. MS was just helping me out tooooooooo much.