RAID 1 WITH TWO SATA MAXTOR (first with OS,second with data)
Posted on 2006-07-04
I have to do a raid 1 configuration on my file server,starting by this situation:
- Motherborad ASROCK 775v88+ (with integrated VIA SATA RAID CONTROLLER)
- two maxtor hard disks 240 gb sata
as u read in the title,first of them is working with xp and in the second one i have 200 gb of data
Now i want to configure machine to obtain a raid 1 (MIRRORING) to have redundant copy of one disk.To do this i think to do in this way:
1) copy all data on a third usb 2.0 hard disk (temporarily)
2) configure Via Sata Raid controller to raid 1 (How??)
now i have only ONE LOGIC disk with OS, on two different disks (I have to reinstall OS??Noo??)
3) copy my backup on ONE LOGIC disk just prepared.
Is this possible? where i can read something about my Via controller (for example, it support this kind of configuration and i can do it not a t the moment of the first OS' install?)
All suggestions are welcome...Ask me for details if u need!!