Linksys WRT54G to be used as wireless access point in existing network.
Posted on 2006-07-05
I am trying to configure a router as a wireless pass-through for an existing router. My current network has a firewall also acting as the gateway using an internal IP of 192.168.1.1. I have contacted Linkssy Tech support and received the following instructions which I followed to the letter.
1. Try to isolate your 2nd router (WRT54G) first by disconnecting everything from it and connect a computer to a regular port. Make sure that the power cord is plugged in.
2. Reset the router for 30 seconds with the power turned on. From the computer open an Internet Explorer browser and type 192.168.1.1 on the address field. Leave username blank and type admin on password, you should be at the Setup Page by now.
3. Click on Setup tab and change the LAN IP address on top to 192.168.1.2 (or to an IP address that is on the same subnet as your network) then hit apply. Note that, it won't go back to the Setup Page, close your browser.
4. Click on Start > Run > type 'cmd', click OK > type 'ipconfig/release' then hit Enter. Once it is released, type 'ipconfig/renew' then hit Enter. You should get a new IP address.
5. Open your browser and type 192.168.1.2 to get into the router's web UI. Near the bottom, you will see a section for DHCP. You would need to disable this option. Click Apply/Save Settings.
6. Click on the 'Advanced Routing' sub tab under Setup. Then change the Operating mode to "Router". Save the settings.
7. Connect the Ethernet cable to any of the numbered ports on the second router and connect the other end to another regular port on the first router.
First If I use a numbered port on the linksys, I can't connect to the router IP at all (192.168.1.120) if I connect it to the Internet port - I can only communicate with the linksys if I am connected directly to it or through wireless. I can not ping it from another machine on the network. I can not ping another machine through the linksys. I checked the cables to the linksys from the network. I can use this cable with my laptop and communicates fine.
What am I missing.