Configure DNS wth SBS CNAME MX A Records
Posted on 2006-07-05
This is a general question, I would like some advice on if possible. I have been tasked with setting up a network for a small business which will initially have 6 users, and which could grow over the next few years to 15 or so.
I have recommended they use SBS. They will be connecting 3 macs, 1 PC desktop and 1 laptop to it initially - most likely only PCs being added after that. I have only just ordered the server and workstations, and am reading extensively about configuring everything before I get it. However, I have a few questions I can't find anything specific yet on the below so any help is welcome :
I have registered a domain name mycompany.com, which nameservers currently point to a different shared hosting Unix server with cpanel and WHM.
1. Their website will be a php based one, and thus I would prefer to keep it hosted it there, but yet have email going through the exchange server. Is this possible?
2. What settings do I need to change in WHM? - I'm guesing I need to change the MX records to the static IP I will be assigned once I have the server up and running - is this correct?
3. What about the A records or CNAME in CPANEL - are any other changes required there?
4. Once I get the server configured, if the server goes down, is it possible for incoming mail to be queued on the Unix server with the existing email accounts I have there - and when the exchange server comes back up, for it to pull the email from that server?
5. Will I need to do anything else when running through the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard during initial setup of the SBS server to achieve the above?
6. What backup solution would you recommend for the SBS server?
Many thanks in advance.....