We have a Lot of INTRANET static (bascially .htm, doc, pdf, gif) pages (currently on a Unix (Samba) server that need to be moved to a load balanced W2003 server environment. I literally have 100s of sites to migrate.
1. Is there a tool (freeware, shareware or for purchase) that will give me ALL the content that a given site such as e.g. http://abcdefgh.company.com/index.htm
would potentially access, in other words index.htm is only the starting point. Assuming that it has 50 links and each of those 50 linked pages have links of their own and so on and so on.
2. When you migrate a site from one server to another...what are all the pitfalls you can get into ??
3. When you move a site, how can you be sure that you have moved everything that it (or it's linked links and it's links in turn) will need ?? to avoid the 404s ??
4. What about bookmarks that users already have ??
5. Is there a way to make the site migration 'transparent to the users' ?? Can a DNS entry be setup to re-direct to the new server ??
6. What if I find html pages that are using the relative pathing like
7. What if some of the sites have secured/password protected access ??
Your help will be greatly appreciated. msyed1.