I decided to get rid of wires and bought a Plantonics Pulsar 590A BT headset to use for Skype primarily. The device was discovered and paired OK. Two devices appeared - Bluetooth Audio and High Quality Bluetooth Audio. However it turned out that headset works only if selected as High Quality Bluetooth Audio. And it does not work properly.
If I use it with Media Player, it works for approx 5 minutes, then the sound becomes interrupted and disappears at all. If I use it as a Skype sound device, I can only hear the recording of the Skype answering machine, but never can hear my recorded voice (this I believe is the proof that the microphone does not work in Skype). Moreover even the Skype answering machine is not audible in most cases - sometimes I can hear it and sometimes (more often) I cannot. In most cases the Skype answering machine is audible immediately after I connect the headset. If it stays idle being connected for a while, there is a good chance that I wil hear nothing at all. Frequently while being used with Skype the headset gets disconnected by itself.
Despite that the device's microphone works properly in Speech Recognition. I can train and adjust the microphone.
The headset and audio gateway profiles startup automatically in my BT configuration.
I contacted Plantronics techsupport with the issue. This is what they replied:
"The Plantronics Bluetooth headsets are designed for use with devices that support a Bluetooth handsfree and headset profile with audio and data capabilities (the Pulsar 590a also supports the A2DP Bluetooth profile).
Please contact the manufacturer of your computer, or Bluetooth adapter, to verify it supports a Bluetooth handsfree and headset profile with audio and data capabilities (or A2DP for the Pulsar 590a), and for Bluetooth pairing ***and user*** instructions."
I asked the HP techsupport the above question and they confirmed that the notebook fully complies with the above requirements.
So, both manufacturers claim that their products are OK and perfect, but they do not work together. They seem to be OK separately. HP notebook works fine with BT Nokia E61. The headset also works fine with the same Nokia E61. But not together!
I suspect that something's wrong in the BT config of the notebook. Despite the fact that the latest WIDCOMM driver is installed, I observe a surprising fact. After I remove both BT audio devices in the Device Manager and re-boot the machine, both BT audio devices are being discovered and drivers installed EVEN IF THE HEADSET IS TURNED OFF.
Experts, please, help!