I am working on a friend's computer whose wireless internet suddenly stopped working. Upon investigation, I found that the Wireless Zero Configuration service wasn't started. When trying to start the service manually in the CMC, I get Error 1608. I have searched other articles and determined that I needed to verify that other certain services were started.... of which, several weren't. I started all of the necessary services:
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Network Connections (this service depends on RPC service)
• Plug and Play
• COM+ Event System (this service depends on RPC service)
• Remote Access Connection Manager (this service depends on Telephony service)
• Telephony (this service depends on RPC and PnP service)
However, the problem persists. I went into Properties of the WZConfig service and its dependencies listed were RPC and something called NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol (what's that all about?) Either way, as far as I know, I have started all necessary services and Wireless Zero Configuration will still not start. To verify that it wasn't a hardware issue I put the wireless card into my own PC and it worked fine. To verify it wasn't a problem with his PCI slot I put it in another slot and the problem still persists.