Account Locked out Constantly
Posted on 2006-07-12
I recently changed my password. The password is constantly being locked out on the domain controller. Failed audit report, reported it was locked out from my workstation (xp). No other machine is being shown in the audits, after shutting down the machine and not using that account, no failed reports are being generated yet the account keeps locking itself.
I changed the password to a different one required change password at logon.
I changed the password cache on the machine to 0.
I disabled the account on the domain controller
I shut down the workstation it was reporting failed audits.
Verified that no services on that machine require that specific account information.
I deleted all network mappings.
After applying all these changes, even disabling the account...it still locks that account.