Internet Gateway Icon Missing
Posted on 2006-07-14
I'm having a problem with getting the Internet Gateway icon to show up in Windows XP SP2, and so far have only been able to find solutions for how to get rid of it. A few things I've tried:
1. Turning on DHCP in the router (Linksys);
2. Turning on DHCP in the local system (currently set up to use a static ip);
*Note: the above two used to work before something I'm unaware of happened*
3. Checking to make sure that upnp is enabled in the router;
4. Turning off the Windows firewall altogether;
5. Temporarily disabling the firewall in the router;
6. Checking to make sure that the unpn and SSDP services are running in the services;
7. Turning on Internet Connection Sharing;
8. Checking all of the items in Windows Add/Remove Components that pertain to networking...
Unfortunately the application I'm working on needs to use the port forwarding functions that the Internet Gateway icon provides for. In many cases the users of the system don't even have access to their office routers, and have no clue as to what the usernames/passwords are (and even if they did, guiding them through the port forwarding configuration isn't the best solution and is usually time consuming)...
Thanks in advance for the help!