MS Office documents slow to open
Posted on 2006-07-14
I saw a very similar problem to what I am about to describe in Q_21761490 but it appears the issue was closed due to no response from the author.
I am working with a PC where the MS Office documents are very slow to open. After trying to figure this out, I have discovered some consistencies:
1. If the documents reside on the desktop of this PC, they open very quickly with no problem.
2. They are slow to open if they are saved over the network or if they reside in any folder on the PC other than the desktop.
3. The network here consists of 5 PCs all with Win2K as the OS. The file server runs Win 2003 Sm. Bus. Ed. This is the only PC on the network experiencing this problem. All PCs are running the same programs.
4. The Office application itself opens very quickly, the slowness begins once I click on open or save as.
5. I also experience this slowness when I open Internet Explorer. Once it is open, internet browsing is very quick. If I try to download a file or program to the PC, there is a 25-30 sec. delay before the file begins to download. Again, once the download starts, the speed is good.
6. I disabled AVG and the problem still occurs.
7. I removed the HP printing toolbox software and just installed the driver for the HP LJ 1320 printer. This did not seem to affect this problem at all.
8. I have the same issue when opening files in Adobe Reader.
9. When I start the PC in safe mode w/networking, the problem disappears.
10. I ran Ad-aware & Spybot, found a few things and got rid of them. This did not appear to matter in relation to this issue.
Does anyone have any suggestions?