Check if dataset is null

I want to check that the dataset is not null before performing my operations.  Here's what I have so far:

         //create an instance of the GetListURLs class first
        GetListURLs geturls = new GetListURLs(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MyConn"]);

        DataSet ds = geturls.GetList();

        //use the geturls class object to call GetList() which returns a dataset and use that as the DataSource for GridView
        if (ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)
        {
            VPPURLList.DataSource = geturls.GetList();
            VPPURLList.DataBind();
        }
        else
        {
            ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
        }

However, I get this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object

for this line:

        if (ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)

LVL 1
dba123Asked:
Who is Participating?
 
orbulatConnect With a Mentor Commented:
how about this one?

if (ds != null)
{
   if (ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)
        {
            VPPURLList.DataSource = geturls.GetList();
            VPPURLList.DataBind();
        }
        else
        {
            ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
        }
}
else
{
     ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
}
0
 
dba123Author Commented:
it's not treating my dataset as an object is the problem here.
0
 
orbulatCommented:
um... then maybe u can use this
try
{
        if (ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)
        {
            VPPURLList.DataSource = geturls.GetList();
            VPPURLList.DataBind();
        }
        else
        {
            ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
        }
}
catch
{
    ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
}
0
Never miss a deadline with monday.com

The revolutionary project management tool is here!   Plan visually with a single glance and make sure your projects get done.

 
tfountainCommented:
You need to initialize the dataset first.  Try:
        //create an instance of the GetListURLs class first
        GetListURLs geturls = new GetListURLs(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MyConn"]);
 //****changed here  
        DataSet ds = new DataSet;
       ds = geturls.GetList();
//****end changed
        //use the geturls class object to call GetList() which returns a dataset and use that as the DataSource for GridView
        if (ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)
        {
            VPPURLList.DataSource = geturls.GetList();
            VPPURLList.DataBind();
        }
        else
        {
            ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
        }
0
 
dba123Author Commented:
doesn't this already initialize the ds dataset all in one line: DataSet ds = geturls.GetList();
0
 
deanvanrooyenCommented:
this relates to the query

 GridView Not Working - NO DATA
0
 
pradeepsudharsanCommented:
 //create an instance of the GetListURLs class first
        GetListURLs geturls = new GetListURLs(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MyConn"]);

        DataSet ds = geturls.GetList();

        //use the geturls class object to call GetList() which returns a dataset and use that as the DataSource for GridView
        if (ds!=null | ds.Tables[0].Rows.Count > 0)
        {
            VPPURLList.DataSource = geturls.GetList();
            VPPURLList.DataBind();
        }
        else
        {
            ErrorMsg.Text = "Unable to connect to the database.";
        }
0
 
dba123Author Commented:
again, it's not recognizing ds as a dataset due to something wrong with my class
0
 
dba123Author Commented:
I notice I'm getting a connection string problem

 I found out that my Connection couldn't be opened after taking out the catch portion in my GetListURLs class.  I got this error in my class now because the connection isn't liking my domain login for sql server.  My domain login in SQL 2005 has db_owner rights on the database in question:

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "dbname" requested by the login. The login failed.
Login failed for user 'domain\myaccount'.

Source Error:

Line 25:             try
Line 26:             {
Line 27:                 Conn.Open();
Line 28:                 SqlCommand GetURLsCommand = new SqlCommand("GetURLs", Conn);
Line 29:                 GetURLsCommand.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;

Again, as you will find in my web.config:

      <connectionStrings>
            <add name="MyConn"
         connectionString="Data Source=.;
           Initial Catalog=MyTestData;
               Integrated Security=True;"/>
      </connectionStrings>
0
 
dba123Author Commented:
Finally,  I changed the connection string to use the correct SQL instance.  I didn't have it named as local in SQL 2005 Management Studio, I had it actually as pcname\LOCAL

that fixed it!
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.