I have an application that makes use of some custom Java applets. I did not write them and would prefer to avoid changing them if at all possible. These applets are fairly simple and are used many (20+) times on any given HTML page. They are essentially special buttons that control hardware behind the scenes. These applets all call JSObject.getWindow(applet) to get a handle to the browser window. This application runs fine under the Microsoft VM, but completely crashes when using the Sun VM. When I comment out all but one of the applets on a page, it will run. When I add them back, it freezes IE.
I've searched for easy work-arounds to this issue but I have not found any yet. There are many discussions (newsgroups, forums, and even another question on experts exchange) that touch on the issue, but not one seems to give a final "this will work" answer. I'm using the Sun 1.5.0_07 JRE.