• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 2099
  • Last Modified:

Oracle 9.2 Client errors / sqlplus "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)"

PC: XP Pro SP2 (+ patches using wsus), MS .NET Framework 1.1 & 2.0

Oracle 9.2 Client (Full install) and Oracle data provider for .Net

When using as an administrator level all works correctly, when using as a power user I get the following errors.

SQLPLUS The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).
APPS using .net client Unable to load DLL (OraOps9.dll) - this is odd as we have other PC's the same just using ODP.net and all works fine - problem only with client installed.

I have tried the following:

fix:

1) Stop any virus scanning software
2) Grant read access on the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE key to the OS
user using regedt32
- Open the registry with regedt32
- Got to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE
- Select Permissions from the Security main menu
- Ensure that the SYSTEM account has Full Control
- Ensure that the OS users trying to launch the applications have read
privileges
- Choose OK
- Exit the registry
3) Follow the workaround in <<Bug:2498880>>:
- Log on to Windows with administrator privileges.
- Launch Windows Explorer from the Start Menu.
- Navigate to the ORACLE_HOME directory and right click on the ORACLE_HOME
folder icon.
- Select the "Properties" option from the drop down list.
- Click on the "Security" tab on the "Properties"
window.
- Click on Authenticated Users in the "Name" list.
- Uncheck the "Read and Execute" box in the "Permissions&
quot; list. This box will be under the "Allow" column.
- Check the "Read and Execute" box. This is the box you just
unchecked.
- Click the "Apply" button.
- Click the "OK" button.
4) Deinstall the software, then reinstall ensuring you're connected as the
local administrator (or the domain administrator if the box is a domain
controller)


this has not worked and the problem is still the same, I did see that this could be the .NET framework, but why just this PC - the only difference from others is the Oracle Client.

Thanks

Mike
0
mikesjn
Asked:
mikesjn
1 Solution
 
rbrookerCommented:
Hi,

from what i have found in the past, this is due to permissions on you <ORACLE_HOME> folder and those folders contained within it.
if i remember correctly, i had to go a step further than what you mentioned in step 3.
Going back to the security tab of the <ORACLE_HOME> folder properties, click on advanced and then on the owner tab.
In all the oracle in stalls i have ever done, to make it work i had to set the owner to local administrator RECURSIVELY DOWN THE DIRECTORY STRUCTURE ( no point doing the root folder only, the dll is further down the tree. )

to check what permissions you have on the file / folder in question, navigate to the dll file, go through the same steps to get to the advanced security properties and click the effective permissions tab.  click select and enter the username of the account trying to run the oracle software and see what you get.

probably not much use, but its been a while, and this is all i can remember.

you can refer to oracle metalink note : 215255.1 as well for some more information.
0
 
mikesjnAuthor Commented:
Thanks, but still the same, I had a look at metalink note and still not working.

Mike
0
 
rbrookerCommented:
hi,

you could try adding the power users group to the permissions, with the same permissions as the administrators...
0
Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

 
mikesjnAuthor Commented:
I have tried adding user to permissions, I am just downloading latest patch set and see what happens

Thanks
Mike
0
 
rbrookerCommented:
ok, im stuck now.
0
 
mikesjnAuthor Commented:
I tried on a PC without MS .net installed and changing permissions worked. I then did same on another PC with .net and it failed, I added the latest oracle patch set and hey presto it worked. Tried patch on the original machine and that just started working. I read a couple of times on newsgroups that this was caused by .net and that Oracle was working on it (2004 posts).
Mike
0
 
rbrookerCommented:
cool.  i will keep this one around for my reference as well.

:)
0
 
DarthModCommented:
PAQed with points refunded (500)

DarthMod
Community Support Moderator
0
 
rubendlgCommented:
I added full control to the Authenticated User account for the entire Oracle folder and it worked.
0

Featured Post

Vote for the Most Valuable Expert

It’s time to recognize experts that go above and beyond with helpful solutions and engagement on site. Choose from the top experts in the Hall of Fame or on the right rail of your favorite topic page. Look for the blue “Nominate” button on their profile to vote.

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now