Radidly increasing log files in MS Exchange 2003 on SBS

I have an SBS 2003 server with Exchange 2003 SP4 running. This server has been running fine for almost a year but this last weekend, I had my log volume fill up with 16BG of transaction log files in less than a 24 hour period, unmounting my information store. The number of email users is less than 10 and the size of the Priv1.ebd is only about 7GB. I used eseutil /mh to verify that the log files had been committed, which they were, and then moved the log files to another volume and mounted the informaiton store. Everything came up fine but the transaciton log files again started being created at about 1 per minute.

I researched the issue and did the following.

1. Confirmed that my Sophos AV was excluding the Exchange database folder

2. Ran a backup using NTBackup to confirm that the log files would be purged during the online backup process, which they were.

3. I used the Message Tracking to see if I had a recurring message issue, which I did not.

4. Unmounted the Information Store and ran eseutil /g with no errors. Then I ran eseutil /d to defragment. I mounted the Information Store and ran another backup. The backup completed successfully but then the log files started being generated at the same rate as before after the backup completed.

5. There is nothing unusual in any of the Event log files.

I am at a loss as to how to proceed.

Thanks,

David

 


dcadlerAsked:
Who is Participating?
 
r-kConnect With a Mentor Commented:
I don't have a definite solution, but you could uninstall  KB912442 and confirm that the problem goes away. If it does, then then reinstall  KB912442 and all subsequent patches. Run MBSA to see what else might need to be installed (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx)
0
 
dcadlerAuthor Commented:
Notes apply to my question.

1. I am using Exchange 2003 SP2 not SP4

2. An examination of my monitoring logs show that the log disk space utilization was basically flat going back at least 90 days. However on June 21, it started doing incremental increases in space consumption with the daily backups clearing them off and then starting again the next day. Each days disk usage increased until finally it exceeded the disk capacity before a backup could run to flush the log files.

On June 21, we installed a Security Patch on the Exchange Server, KB912442.

 
0
 
dcadlerAuthor Commented:
r-k,

Uninstalling the KB912442 stopped the rapidly increasing log file issue. Reinstallikng it again started it back up. However, as it turned out, the issue was not specifically a problem in the KB. We have an Altigen VoIP system with Exchange Server Integration for voice mail. The Exchange Integration has always been touchy and a while back the integration stopped and we no longer received voice mail in our email inbox. Since there have been issues on and off over the the past years with this feature, the problem was put on a back burner.

When we uninstalled the KB912442, the voice mails started showing up in our inbox again. This led us to investigate the exchange related log files that Altigen generates and we discovered that it was not sending voice mails to exchange because of a rights issue. This rights issue seemed to crop up as a result of the KB912442 security patch increasing the security on store.exe.

The Altigen was sending vlice mails to Exchange and they were being rejected. As more voice mails came in more attempts to send were made and the Exchange transaction logs started increasing.

Now that we had resolved the rights issue, we were able to re-install KB912442 and not have the runaway transaction log problem reoccur.

Thanks for pointing us in the right direction.

Dave

0
 
r-kCommented:
Wonderful. That's a tricky one and I am very glad you got it resolved.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.