Radidly increasing log files in MS Exchange 2003 on SBS
Posted on 2006-07-17
I have an SBS 2003 server with Exchange 2003 SP4 running. This server has been running fine for almost a year but this last weekend, I had my log volume fill up with 16BG of transaction log files in less than a 24 hour period, unmounting my information store. The number of email users is less than 10 and the size of the Priv1.ebd is only about 7GB. I used eseutil /mh to verify that the log files had been committed, which they were, and then moved the log files to another volume and mounted the informaiton store. Everything came up fine but the transaciton log files again started being created at about 1 per minute.
I researched the issue and did the following.
1. Confirmed that my Sophos AV was excluding the Exchange database folder
2. Ran a backup using NTBackup to confirm that the log files would be purged during the online backup process, which they were.
3. I used the Message Tracking to see if I had a recurring message issue, which I did not.
4. Unmounted the Information Store and ran eseutil /g with no errors. Then I ran eseutil /d to defragment. I mounted the Information Store and ran another backup. The backup completed successfully but then the log files started being generated at the same rate as before after the backup completed.
5. There is nothing unusual in any of the Event log files.
I am at a loss as to how to proceed.