Our current setup in this company is pop3 mail hosted by an external provider, which is obviously less than ideal as once the email is on the local pc, it isn't backed up, etc etc. I'd like to implement a mail server, but the IT budget is stretched to the point of breaking. I'm not sure if what I'm asking is reasonable or possible, so don't be afraid to tell me I'm an idiot, I already know that ;) Basically I'm looking for a free mail service which will run on a windows 2000 pc.
It MUST have the following:
1. Unlimited (or at least up to 100) users.
2. A centralised storage space (mail stored on server, not on local machines).
3. The ability to backup this storage (I don't expect the software to provide me with a backup method, but I'd like to be able to write a script that will take the mail folder and back it up).
4. The ability to set an out of office message for an individual.
5. A good GUI - I need this to be so simple to set up and maintain that a monkey (me) can do it.
It would be ideal if it could do the following as well, but it isn't essential.
1. The ability to restore mails that the user has deleted, ie, they delete it from their view but not from the server.
2. The ability for the user to set their own out of office message instead of me having to do it for them.
3. The ability to set a mailbox size limit.
4. A spam filter, or a way for me to set rules that filters out junk mail.
Don't ask much, do I??? Sorry, I'm a complete and total novice to this, so think of me as technologically clueless when you're answering. And remember, I won't be offended if you tell me I'm a moron living in a little idealistic world of my own!