I am in desperate need of guidance so I registered as a premium member to get the answer to this problem. I will give maximum points to the expert who can provide step-by-step instructions FOR ME to solve this problem. I will attempt to explain everything with pictures of my setup to make it easier to understand.
To set up a wired dsl network so all the outlets in my house can get dsl simply by connecting a pc into the outlet. 95% of the work would be done in the basement because it's nearly impossible for me to run the cables through the attic. The other 5% involves changing the RJ11 outlet in each room and convert it into an RJ45 outlet so it can accept RJ45 connectors from my nic's.
INFO ON MY HOUSE
This house is only a couple years old. It was built from the ground up and each room has a Cat5e blue cable in the phone outlet. All the blue Cat5e cables congregate in the basement. Pictures to follow.
After I started working on this, my room now has dsl access but the entire house has loss the dial tone. There was dial tone before I started working. Other rooms do not have dsl access.
This is what the wiring in my basement looked like before I did any work on it:
As you can see, there is a group of blue Cat5e cables that connect to the 4 wire connectors (correct term of the orange cone shaped cap?). Each Cat5e only uses the Blue/White-Blue, Blue, Orange, and Orange/White-Orange wires. On the right side of the picture is another blue Cat5e that goes to the outside of my house. This blue Cat5e connects it's four wires to the connectors. This was how the home builders set it up. When I had this setup, there was dial tone and there was dsl for one computer at a time.
I arrived at this setup from the last diagram I found at this website:
The small green rectangle in my AFTER diagram represents an RJ45 jack. This was where I made the first cut because I figured it would keep my alarm system operational. I was right. The brown cable is Cat3 because my dsl modem has a port called "DSL" and it only takes Cat3 plugs, so I decided to use a Cat3 plug on either end of this Cat3 cable. Other than that, every other port on all the devices hold an RJ45 Cat5e plug.
If I take any of the blue cable from the Linksys switch and plug it into the green RJ45 jack, I get a dial tone. This tells me there is nothing wrong with the wiring starting from the green rectange to the outside of the house.
What am I doing wrong here? Do I need to buy anything else? Why doesn't the switch relay the dial tone signal?
Please ask me questions if I have failed to explained my situation. I await anxiously for any solution.
EDIT: If anyone wants me to list what I did step-by-step, please let me know.