I've been trying to improve the report printing in our application and have studied numerous answers on EE, other websites, books, MSDN code samples in the KB etc. It is a huge hodge podge mess of partial answers and not clear at all on what approach to take.
Can any Printer experts out there tell me what is the best way to offer:
- user selection of printer, orientation, pages to and from, etc. There are a lot of samples of how to set those in code but the examples on how to get them from the printer dialog are sketchy. I tried many of them and none of them worked. Is the ONLY way to get that info to use the Microsoft printer dialog control replacement instead of the common dialog????
- there is an MSDN article offering a new updated printer dialog com object to replace the common dialog typically used. Has anyone used that? Does it work well? Even if you use that how do you handle the To and From pages when you don't know the pagination of a report?
- there is a qbdprinter2 code with a lot of API code... anyone used it?
- I also need Print Preview... I realize I think I need to create a form and draw to that... but is there something better?
I've found some commercial products:
- Visual Reports 2.0 looks promising
- VB Gold's Smart Print Control
I just need everything and then some and I can't tell if I need to cobble several solutions together to get what I need or whether there is some end all be all print control that will do it all for me.
Your advice or help will be appreciated.