here is my current network.
1) Windows 2000 server with SP4 as FSMO.
2) Windows 2000 Server with SP4 as Relica DC.
3) Windows 2000 server with SP4 as member server with Exchange 2000 with Sp3 + Aug 2004 Rollup hosting 100 users.
4) 2 windows 2003 server with sp1 as member server.
5) 1 backup media server, 1 print server, 5 other server doing differnet duties. but all windows 2000 with SP4.
we bought a new server , very power full and nice machine. we want to to go exchange 2003 with Sp2. i did lot of re-search. the best way is use move method.
but here is the problem.
I. Prepare your Network for Windows Server 2003 Regardless of how you intend to get to Exchange 2003, there are some basic steps that must be done.
Run adprep /forestprep from Windows Server 2003 CD on your Windows 2000 server that holds the Schema master FSMO role. (Of course you’ll need to be a member of Schema Admins). Be sure to replicate the changes throughout the forest before proceeding.
Run adprep /domainprep from Windows Server 2003 CD on your Windows 2000 server. I ran it on the system holding the PDC Emulator FSMO role.
Run setup /forestprep from the Exchange Server 2003 CD on the Windows 2000 server that holds the Schema master FSMO role. Replicate the changes throughout the forest.
Run setup /domainprep from the Exchange Server 2003 CD on a Windows 2000 server. Again, I ran it on the system holding the PDC Emulator role.
My question is if i do not have any windows 2003 server as a replica dc, i do not want windows 2003 as DC right now, may be next year. why i need to run
adprep /forestprep & adprep /domainprep from Windows Server 2003 CD before running setup /forestprep & setup /domainprep from exchange 2003 cd?
Please take a look on this artical.
Please help me out.