My neighbor and I vpn into the same workplace and we are seeing very different lag times with Windows remote desktop (he has more lag than me). I will try to lay out everything I know and maybe you guys can help direct me where to look to alleviate the lag we have.
• I have cable internet
• My neighbor has wireless internet (wireless to his house)
• When I go the various bandwidth testing websites I am getting 350 up/650 down (when VPN’d using)
• I get 350 up/1024 down at bandwidth testing sites when at my neighbors house (with my same laptop from home) while VPN’d
• Using Cisco vpn software (required by work)
• I am behind a wireless router assigning private ips (192.168..)
• Neighbor is behind a wireless router assigning private IPs as well
• I always have a pretty good response time with remote desktop when I am at home (almost instantaneous)
• I usually have bad response time (5 to 10 secs to register a mouse click) when I am at neighbor's but sometimes it is decent (<0.5 sec). Screen refresh rate isn’t very good either.
• I am always connecting to the same server with remote desktop
• At times when my neighbor is experiencing a lot of lag things are always fine at my house (connection is always fine from my house).
What I think is strange is that his connection tests as better than mine but his connection through remote desktop is a lot worse. Are there better tests I can do?
Settings on the computer can be ruled out i think because i am using the same exact laptop (with no configuration change) for all my tests.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this behavior and how can I test/verify those ideas?