Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of Smudgersmith
Smudgersmith

asked on

Active sysnc issue Event id 3012

Hi

I am running sbs 2003 standard edition and laterly I have had a problem with active sync

copied from event log (application)

Event Type:      Error
Event Source:      Server ActiveSync
Event Category:      None
Event ID:      3012
Date:            11/09/2006
Time:            15:51:32
User:            GEOCONFEX\IUSR_GEOSERVER
Computer:      GEOSERVER
Description:
An error occurred while accessing the Active Directory for user [Internet Guest Account]. Information cannot be retrieved from Active Directory due to an unknown error. Verify that the Exchange ActiveSync Server can communicate with Active Directory, and that the user has a valid account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I have tried googling but not getting anywhere.

Also I look after the IT here parttime so I am not that technical.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Avatar of Jeffrey Kane - TechSoEasy
Jeffrey Kane - TechSoEasy
Flag of United States of America image

Try rerunning your CEICW (the Configure Email and Internet Connection Wizard linked as Connect to the Internet in the Server Management Console > Internet and Email).

Don't skip any of the screens by selecting the "do not change option", with the exception of the Server Certificate.

Full how-to:  http://sbsurl.com/ceicw

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Avatar of Smudgersmith
Smudgersmith

ASKER

Jeff

THank you for the reply.

I tried running ICEIW but still having the same problem.

THe error I get on my device is:

Result:
Your account in Microsft Exchange Server does not have permissions to synchronize with your current settings. Contact you admin ect.....

Support code= 0x85010004

I am getting the same result across other PPC devices.


Mark
Which version of ActiveSync are you running?

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Also, how is your company's email configured?  SMTP? Or POP3 Connector?

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Actually... I think I may have come across  a solution...

Please open the Server Management Console > Advanced Management > Internet Information Services > Servername > Web Sites > Default Web Site > and right click Microsoft-Server-Activesync > Properties.

On the Directory Security Tab, click the top Edit button, and make sure that the only box that is checked is "Basic Authentication".  Then also make sure that your DOMAINNAME is in the box below.  (not domainname.local or domainname.com)

Then, click the middle Edit button and make sure that "Granted Access" is selected.  Close all of that out and then right click on Default Web Site > Stop.  Right click again and select Start.

If you had to make any changes from what was there, your sync should now work.

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Jeff

Sorry still no luck, I have been trying to rack my bains to think of any changes I may have made and the nly thing I can think of is that I enforced strong passwords around that time, would this have anything to do with it?


Thanks for your help sofar.


Mark
It shouldn't have affected things... but you never know... so it won't hurt to manually reset the IUSR_<servername> account's password, just in case it was corrupted.  Follow the steps discussed here: http://msmvps.com/blogs/cgross/archive/2004/08/08/11472.aspx for that.

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Jeff

Still no luck, is there any way of restoring defaults or something similar.

Mark
Jeff

If I install exchange SP2 will this help?

Mark
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Jeffrey Kane - TechSoEasy
Jeffrey Kane - TechSoEasy
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
P. S. Installing a Service Pack on a problem does not generally provide a fix.  So you should never install something like SP2 when your current install doesn't work.

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Jeff

Thanks for your help with this.

I will look to do this in the near future. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your help

Mark
For anyone that this solution doesn't work I had the same issue after running the ICW on my SBS 2003 server.  The fix was to change directory security to only basic authentication.  worked fine after that.