GPO will not run in computer configuration, event id 1030, 40961

I am having major group policy issues. I had this problem before and I thought I had it fixed, but now it’s back. It could start working in a day or two, but I want to get rid of it once and for all.
Group policies are not working correctly! There are three policies total – default domain, domain controllers, and a firewall policy - and all of the GPO(s) are working with the exception of the firewall policy. The reason denied is: Access Denied (Security Filtering). The policy has been working correctly for while, and just stopped (again) today.

Prior fix (no policies were running at the time): Removed Authenticated Users from all policies/Ran policy; Added Authenticated Users to all policies/Ran policy, and everything started working fine (for two weeks).

Special observations: any changes on a GPO’s setting results in a “Access Denied (Security Filtering)” in the computer configuration summary, but will run perfectly in the User configuration summary.
Any new GPO’s with a computer configuration setting is not displayed in computer configuration summary at all, but will run perfectly in the User configuration summary.
Two events appear on various pc(s) throughout the domain (but not all). These events happen at exactly the same time – ONE FOR ONE.
No related errors on any servers

Event Type:      Warning
Event Source:      LSASRV
Event Category:      SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event ID:      40961
Description:
The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server ldap/DC01.My.org/My.org@My.org.  No authentication protocol was available.

Event Type:      Error
Event Source:      Userenv
Event Category:      None
Event ID:      1030
Description:
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. A message that describes the reason for this was previously logged by the policy engine.

Environment: All servers 2003; all workstations XP
One domain controller with one NIC
I’ve climbed all over DNS and GPMC on this thing
LVL 1
soothinAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Jay_Jay70Commented:
i cant remember where is saw the fix for this, but try running through your network ID wizard on the clients giving greif

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
soothinAuthor Commented:
A couple of the workstation I have removed and re-added back into the domain, but it is the same issue. I only get an “Access Denied (Security Filtering)” in the computer configuration. This is now affecting the entire domain. No GPO will run in computer configuration, with the exception of the Default Domain Policy and Default Domain Controller Policy.
I have temporarily discontinued Sub-OU(s) and security is now setup the same on all GPO(s)
Authenticated Users -- Read (from Security Filtering)
Domain Admins -- Edit settings, delete, modify security
Enterprise Admins -- Edit settings, delete, modify security
ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS -- Read
SYSTEM -- Edit settings, delete, modify security
soothinAuthor Commented:
Well, GPO(s) are once again processing correctly throughout the domain, but I am still getting those Event Errors 1030 and warnings 40961, which happen simultaneously. I’ve searched the web, and everything suggests these two events are independent of each other. I can’t find any relationship. I reviewed the comments on http://www.eventid.net for both without success.
I’m looking for any ideas.

New error: under GPMC – Group policy results

Component Name                Status      Last Process Time
Group Policy Infrastructure                Failed      9/13/2006 6:25:04 AM
Group Policy Infrastructure failed due to the error listed below.

Unspecified error

Note: Due to the GP Core failure, none of the other Group Policy components processed their policy. Consequently, status information for the other components is not available.
Additional information may have been logged. Review the Policy Events tab in the console or the application event log for events between 9/13/2006 6:25:03 AM and 9/13/2006 6:25:04 AM.
Amazon Web Services

Are you thinking about creating an Amazon Web Services account for your business? Not sure where to start? In this course you’ll get an overview of the history of AWS and take a tour of their user interface.

Jay_Jay70Commented:
i have never seen that error before ever......
soothinAuthor Commented:
I'm getting errors saying that group policies are not processing, but the Group Policy Results wizard is showing all policies processing successfully on any pc I query
soothinAuthor Commented:
Since group policies are processing normally, I'm going to have to say that this is a done deal. Also, I updated the NIC drivers on the Domain Controller, and so far looks like the errors have stopped.
Jay_Jay70Commented:
good to hear
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Networking

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.