troubleshooting Question

Database recovery help

Avatar of dbestcomputers
dbestcomputers asked on
Exchange
5 Comments2 Solutions380 ViewsLast Modified:
We have a Win2k3 server that does our email with Exchange 2k3.  I didn't have a backup implemented (long story :-P) so when the server crashed and had to be wiped, I just pulled the MDBData folder out of C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\ and wiped the machine.  I have reinstalled Win2k3 and reinstalled Exchange, and have set up users and mailboxes again without the old MDBData folder.  I would now like to find a way to pull the data out of the old files and into the new database.  We can safely assume the old database is corrupted due to bad shutdowns/restarts and the logs have not been written (they are labeled E0000001.log to E000009D.log I think...). I have the entire MDBData folder (about 1.1GB).

I know there is much information on the subject and I have tried sifting through some of it, for example: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=327334 has some information on copying mailboxes from an old store to a new database at the bottom.  Now, I recently had exchange installed to the C: drive, but on the new install, it is on the D: drive, so when I tried putting the old mdbdata folder in and starting the store it errors with:

Information Store (6132) First Storage Group: Database recovery failed with error -1216 because it encountered references to a database, 'C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb', which is no longer present. The database was not brought to a consistent state before it was removed (or possibly moved or renamed). The database engine will not permit recovery to complete for this instance until the missing database is re-instated. If the database is truly no longer available and no longer required, please contact PSS for further instructions regarding the steps required in order to allow recovery to proceed without this database.

So, I copied the mdbdata folder to the same location on C: to stop this error, then proceeded to try and "fix" the database before going on with exporting/importing the mail.  I had tried doing eseutil /r logfilehere but it always errors with some weird API something or another error.  I had then given up on that and tried to do eseutil /p ..\mdbdata\priv1.edb and it "fixed" the database, but it still would not mount.  I also tried a isinteg -s EXServer -fix -test alltests, and it "fixed" the databae, but it still would not mount.  So, I gave up and put my old MDBData folder back and restarted the store, then came here. :-)
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
redseatechnologies

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

Join our community to see this answer!
Unlock 2 Answers and 5 Comments.
Start Free Trial
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 2 Answers and 5 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros