1) No volume control icon in the taskbar, clicking on volume control through the start menu (or physically in the windows directory) doesn't work. (Note that when shutting down, I get an error saying mixer.exe has failed, but this is the only error message I get.)
2) Within Control Panel>Sound&Volume - none of the sounds work (play button is greyed out) and the volume control at the bottom is also greyed out. On the 2nd tab, I cannot select which audio device i want to use as playback.
3) i've installed a new sound card, drivers for it etc. Still doesn't work. (I can't remove the old one physically as its onboard). IE. volume control still doesn't work.
4) within device driver - i get the following - the new sound card, 2x gameport joysticks (note - i don't have any joysticks plugged in at the moment) and the old sound card.
5) tried disabling both joysticks and the old card - no difference. Tried removing them - windows just finds them again and re-installs automatically.
6) I did manage to get the sound working once before - by removing all the sound cards in device manager. This worked once until the PC rebooted. Not been able to get them all working since, even by doing the same "trick".
Its Windows ME, spyware and virus scans have been done recently (last night).
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I'm running out of them fast!
8/22/2022 - Mon
Experts Exchange has (a) saved my job multiple times, (b) saved me hours, days, and even weeks of work, and often (c) makes me look like a superhero! This place is MAGIC!