I've got a few domain names and I've got MS 2003 Server Web Edition
I want to make sure I'm setting up DNS the 'right' way.
I've gone into the server and...
1. Right clicked on the Server Name >New Zone>Next>Primary Zone>Forward Lookup Zone>Zone Name=mywebsite.com>Create a New file with this name=mywebsite.com.dns>Do not allow dynamic updates>Finish.
2. Right Click on the new zone> New Host (A)...>Name=ns1...IP_address=123.456.789.1 (leave 'Create associated pointer(PTR) record unchecked.)>Done
3. Double click on the '(same as parent folder) Start of Authority (SOA) > on the 'Start of Authority(SOA) tab click 'Browse' next to the 'Primary Server' box and browse to > Servername/Forward Lookup Zone/mywebsite.com/ns1 and click OK so 'Primary server = ns1.mywebsite.com
4. Then click on the 'Name Servers' Tab>Remove the 'servername.' >Click Add and Browse to Servername/Forward Lookup Zone/mywebsite.com/ns1 and click OK.OK
5. In dnsmgmt right click on the zone mywebsite.com and select 'New Alias (CNAME)'. Alias name=www > Browse for Fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for target host and go to .... Servername/Forward Lookup Zone/mywebsite.com/ns1 ... then click OK...
5. Do the same process as step 4 for 'mail' and 'ftp' and ' ' . Everything is pointing to ns1.mywebsite.com. besides ns1 which is pointing to the servers IP address and the (SOA) which is pointed at 'ns1.mywebsite.com, hostmaster.'
Is that right? Should I be using CNAME's for all of those? Did I set everything correctly? Should anything be pointed to 'servername. '
I have to make my own ns1 because my domain registrar won't allow me to use their nameserver. I could only point mywebsite.com at my own nameserver.... ns1.mywebsite.com
Thanks for any corrections.