I want all McAfee gone!
Dell E310, WinXP, McAfee installed by Dell and includes the following:
McAfee Security Ctr (6.0.22)
Privacy Srv 188.8.131.52
Personal Firewall 7.1.113
MS Config - all McAfee items are checked
"M" in sys tray is black (disabled virusscan, spamkiller, priv srv, & firewall)
I ran the McAfee tech which shows all products not running (duh factor)
Under add/remove, the only McAfee listed is "McAfee Uninstaller" (which I researched and found that is a discontinued product). VirusScan, Spamkiller, etc is not listed under add/remove, or another other McAfee product.
I have "chatted" with Dell Support 5-6 times - they insist I can remove VirusScan via add/remove - ignoring the fact that VirusScan is NOT listed. They did send a link to manually remove VirusScan - 7 full pages of instructions (http://stuff.mit.edu/people.bbrids/virus.html
I've read numerous websites on how to remove/uninstall McAfee - what concerns me are the multitude of problems this can create from not being to log on again (TCP/IP problem), to not being able to install Norton Systemworks.
1) Are all McAfee items checked or unchecked at msconfig startup
2) All items disabled or abled in sys tray
3) Which item should I uninstall/remove first (ie virusscan, spamkiller, security center, etc) and in what order
4) When I should I remove 'mcafee uninstaller" (before or after removing VirusScan, etc) using add/remove in control panel
5) If I can successfully remove/uninstall McAfee, will that cure my "won't save my password in Outlook Express" problem?
6) How can I make absolutely sure I'm logged in as Administrator before I attempt any of this? I've been using WinXP for about 3 months (after being a Win98 fan for many years!).
500 points for detailed info/solution on this problem - thanks in advance for your help!