Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
JeffvClayton

asked on

Thread Safe Calls

I have a progress bar set to marquee on an mdi parent status bar. To make it run smoothly and continuously while updating I thought it may be time to try somehting new rather than Application.DoEvents.

So I have a procedure in a child form which is called by the following

....enable the progress bar

Dim newthread As New Threading.Thread(AddressOf MyProcedure)
            newthread.Start()

The procedure fills a datatable from various tables, then a DataView which is sorted, which is then used to populate a DataGridView control. I have found out that (via debug message) I have to check the DataGridView.InvokeRequired property when i try to set the DataGridView datasource, and then do something else if the answer is True, when doing something to a control not invoked by the same thread. I am not sure what code I need if the answer is true.

so..

Private Sub MyProcedure()

....do some stuff

If MyDataGridView.InvokeRequired Then

......WHAT GOES HERE

else

MyDataGridView.DataSource = MyDataView

End If

'Disable progress bar
        me.cursor = cursors.default
        MyMdiParent.ProgressBar.Enabled=false

PS. I have also discovered i will get the same problem when i try to reset the cursor for the form back to default and also try to disable the progress bar as they were set on different threads

End Sub

I am assuming of course this is the way to go for smoothly operating progress bars
SOLUTION
doraiswamy
Flag of India image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
JeffvClayton

ASKER

Yes i do you want the progress bar in the background, marquee-ing smoothly, but I do not want to create a new form, i have a progress bar in a status strip at the bottom of an Mdi parent which is in the original thread, I want to use that. Does it mean i basically have to add the progress bar to the status strip at runtime? Or can i manage the invokerequired properties as suggested by microsoft?
I'm not sure about the "invokerequired" property. You can try creating a progress bar at runtime and accessing it from the thread.
OK, that is something to try.

I have also tried this as the last line in the procedure with no error messages, but no data in the DataGridView either!

MyDataGridView.Invoke(MyDataGridView.DataSource, MyDataView.ToTable)
Sorry, in the earlier post I meant create a progress bar at design time, not runtime
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
I have solved the problem, you cant change an object from a different thread, you need all this....

Instead of   'MyDataGridView.DataSource = MyDataView' as the last line of the procedure in the new thread

you need a new procedure call as the last line e.g.   PassNewDataView(MyDataView.ToTable)

End Sub
                               'Another sub which runs in the new thread
                             '--------------------------------------------------
                                Sub PassNewDataView(ByVal MyDataView As DataTable)
                                          Me.BeginInvoke(New DelegateUpdateSource(AddressOf Me.ChangeSource), New Object() {MyDataView})
                               End Sub

' then a new Delegate Sub as this....
                               ' ----------------------------------------
                               Public Delegate Sub DelegateUpdateSource(ByVal DV As DataTable)

'Finally a sub which runs in the original thread to change the datasource and stop the progress bar                                  
   '-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub ChangeSource(ByVal DV As DataTable)

Me.MyDataGridView.DataSource = DV

Me.Cursor = Cursors.Default
         MParent.PB1.Enabled = False

End Sub

Thanks anyway

Jeff
Thanks Dez, I was typing as you sent the message.
I would of typed it a hell of a lot sooner (just as you posted the msg) but i was on my phone the whole time! Sorry mate!

Glad its working now anyway.

Cheers,

Dez
one more thing...

Sub PassNewDataView(ByVal MyDataView As DataTable)
                                          Me.BeginInvoke(New DelegateUpdateSource(AddressOf Me.ChangeSource), New Object() {MyDataView})
                               End Sub

There is no need for a seperate sub here... you can just call:

... from anywhere on the thread

Cheers,
Dez
Even Better!

Thanks Dez.