I am currently experiencing name resolution delays on my network. They only occur using the netbios name i.e ping server1 will take about 20 seconds to resolve the name, response time is < 1ms, but it works fine using the fqdn. My setup is as follows:
Wins server1: 10.179.129.60 (Win2k Box)
Wins server2: 10.179.129.65 (WinNT Box)
Default Gateway 10.179.129.1
DHCP scope for clients is 10.179.128.50 -254
Now the strange thing is that WINS resolution seems to work fine from the 129 subnet for all servers on that subnet but if I add my laptop to that subnet with a static ip the WINS problem still occurs, i.e. it takes a good 20 seconds to resolve a name if I pin DC1.
Furthermore there are some clients on the 128 subnet that can still ping servers on the 129 subnet quite happily i.e. <1ms response time. I have tried to plug my laptop into these ports just in case there was some random port thing going on in the switches but it didnt work.
So far I have restarted both the WINS servers (DC's were recently bounced but I cant see why they would be the prob anyway) with no luck.
Looking in ethereal I can see the requests going out to the WINS servers but no response coming back until the 4th time the request is made, which then gets a response.
Note that the network was working fine last night and this morning was when the problems were first noticed. There were no changes made to any of the servers / network last night.
Looking forward to your responses.