Dataset loads incorrect data from SQL server

pab89
pab89 used Ask the Experts™
on
Hi all. I have an application that connects to a SQL server and loads data from it. Sometimes however it loads the columns in the wrong order. The "Users" table that I query has the columns in this order: Username, Policy, Tickets, OpenTickets, Notes, Image. Sometimes they load in this order: Policy, Username, Tickets, OpenTickets, Notes, Image.

The code that I use to load the data into a datatable is this, where userTable is my datatable.:

        public static void selectAllUsers()
        {
            SqlDataAdapter da = new SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM Users", Connections.SQLconnection);

            try
            {
                userTable.Clear();
                da.Fill(userTable);
            }
            catch (SqlException)
            {

            }
        }

Once in the dataset, the data is loaded into a listView on a form using this code:

        private void getUsers()
        {
            //Clear the ListView
            listViewUsers.Items.Clear();

            //Select all rows from the Users table
            UsersSQL.selectAllUsers();

            //Add each row of the DataTable to the ListView
            foreach (DataRow row in UsersSQL.userTable.Rows)
            {
                ListViewItem lvi = new ListViewItem(row[0].ToString());
                lvi.SubItems.Add(row[1].ToString());
                lvi.SubItems.Add(row[2].ToString());
                lvi.SubItems.Add(row[3].ToString());
                lvi.SubItems.Add(row[4].ToString());
                listViewUsers.Items.Add(lvi);
            }

            //Update controls
            if (listViewUsers.Items.Count > 0)
            {
                // Set the column number that is to be sorted; default to ascending.
                lvwColumnSorter.SortColumn = 0;
                lvwColumnSorter.Order = SortOrder.Ascending;

                // Perform the sort with these new sort options.
                this.listViewUsers.Sort();

                //listViewUsers.Items[0].Selected = true;
                toolStripButtonDelete.Enabled = true;
                toolStripButtonEdit.Enabled = true;
            }
            else
            {
                toolStripButtonDelete.Enabled = false;
                toolStripButtonEdit.Enabled = false;
            }

            toolStripProgressBar.Value = 100;
            toolStripStatusLabelStatus.Text = listViewUsers.Items.Count.ToString() + " Users Found";
        }

I think that the problem comes when loading data into the dataTable, rather than when populating the form, but I'm not sure. It's also worth noting that the problem only seems to occur after I change the user's policy and update the Policy column. For that I use this code:

        public static void updateUserPolicy(string oldPolicy, string newPolicy)
        {
            try
            {
                //Begin a new transaction on our main connection
                sqlTrans = Connections.SQLconnection.BeginTransaction();
                sqlCommand = new SqlCommand(@"UPDATE Users SET Policy='" + Gatekeeper.SQLShieldRemoveApostrophes(newPolicy) + "' WHERE Policy='" + Gatekeeper.SQLShieldRemoveApostrophes(oldPolicy) + "'", Connections.SQLconnection, sqlTrans);
                //Execute the transaction
                sqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();
                //Try to commit changes to the database
                sqlTrans.Commit();
            }
            catch (SqlException)
            {
                //If there is an error, roll back the transaction
                sqlTrans.Rollback();
            }
        }

Gatekeeper.SQLShieldRemoveApostrophes(); protects against some SQL injection attacks, but is not the cause of the problem. The transaction executes fine, but afterwards I find the two columns reversed. I hope someone can figure this out. Thanks.
Comment
Watch Question

Do more with

Expert Office
EXPERT OFFICE® is a registered trademark of EXPERTS EXCHANGE®

Commented:
Try changing your select statement to explicitly select the columns in the order that you want, instead of 'select *'. Just a suggestion, may not work.

An alternative would be when adding the ListView SubItems, reference the row by name instead of the ordinal position.
To guarantee the order in which your select statement retrieves columns change it to:
"SELECT Username, Policy, Tickets, OpenTickets, Notes, Image FROM Users"
If this does not solve the problem, you will at least know that the select statement is not at fault.

Commented:
Hmm, that looks suspiciously like what I said - "Try changing your select statement to explicitly select the columns in the order that you want, instead of 'select *'".

Do more with

Expert Office
Submit tech questions to Ask the Experts™ at any time to receive solutions, advice, and new ideas from leading industry professionals.

Start 7-Day Free Trial