Hardware advice needed on a (file and web) server installation project
Posted on 2006-10-24
I’m looking to construct a combined web and file server, to provide a small hosting service and to enable the sale of additional file storage space to clients.
I initially intend to host up to 25 websites with a maximum size of 2 GB of hosting space and a bandwidth of up to 1 GB per website. I envisage the file storage space to be up to 6 GB per client. I want the hosting server to support PHP and mysql is this possible on a Microsoft server.
I am looking for a step by step detail guide to enable me to construct the server to suit the above brief. Bearing in mind I may need to expand the size of the server at a future date, in particular I would like information on:-
1. All the hardware items I need to purchase to enable me to construct such a server including recommended manufacturers.
2. What sort of memory backup would I require
3. What type of processor i.e. CPU, motherboard, speed etc
4. Advice on power supplies cooling requirements manufacturers etc
5. Advice on case size / number of slots
6. Recommended software for the web hosting and file storage management with due regard to cost and performance.
Points will be split if parts of answer is given hence the value.
Thanks in advance.