Computer down after lightning!
Posted on 2006-10-24
Here's the scenario:
Thought I had the PC plugged into a surge protector but when it wouldn't power on after a lightning storm I determined it was just a power strip that it was plugged into. Well the power supply smelled burnt, so I replaced that, but nothing powered on at all. I replaced the motherboard, not the processor, and now the computer powers up, but it does not boot, display anything on the screen, or beep. Even with or without the ram or pci cards installed.
Does it sound like the processor could have been "zapped" in the lightning storm as well? Doesn't seem like its the RAM...I've also read some forums online that say the new board might be grounded somehow to the case..
Any best guesses?