Ok so started a new Networking Job and the network is as follow: there is a domain name labs.com which has dc1.labs.com as the PDC emulator as well as all other FSMO roles and then SLC.labs.com and Houston.labs.com (both remote offices) there is a site for each one of the remote offices since they are in different subnets. The problem that I’m having is the fact that traveling from one office to the other trough our leased T1 is not as fast as it should be and I think is due to miss-configuration of DNS and AD replication maybe?
DNS is installed in each office as well as DHCP but the funny thing is that when I check each one of the DNS they all have the same info (A records, NS, etc) they are all Primary AD integrated. Now if I am wrong and please correct me if I’m wrong I think this is generating a lot of the traffic I have in my Network ( I used Wireshark and see a lot of ARP traffic).
I have a vague Idea as to how to fix it but not quite sure if it’s a good one. I thought about setting up a primary zone in each remote DC pointing to it’s self and then creating a secondary zone that will point to the server that holds all the FSMO roles. Once these are setup and I’m able to transfer from master just go ahead and delete the Primary zone that was setup in the remote server that is actually an identical copy of the PDC. Then of course create a secondary zone in my PDC that will point to the primary zone of each zone in the Remote Offices.
Please advice and let me know if there is anymore info you need.