I am a recent computer science graduate and I am developing a small (but growing) software application for my employer. The design of the application is in its infancy and I am in need of “Experts” who can coach my direction with its development.
- The application will be used to collect, process and publish information in real time. I intend to leverage a platform independent user interface and a database backbone to accomplish this.
- initially the application will be used by 300 to 400 users – but this may quickly increase to something between 3,000 and 10,000 users.
- The application will need to display information from the DB to the user, and allow the user to update that information relatively quickly.
- The application will need to produce reports for the user – similar to the reports in MS Access ( I WILL NOT USE MS ACCESS.)
Development tool information:
- I can code in C#, SQL, VB, C++, and a variety of other popular languages. I am most comfortable with C# , C++, and SQL. I very much enjoyed using visual studio but have not fully explore how easily it integrates with a declarative language (SQL). After some initial research, I am seriously considering using Visual Web Developer and MS Sequel Server. I am a novice at integrating SQL with other languages.
- I need to find a good reference (preferably a textbook) that can aid my understanding of how databases, and platform independent user interfaces are appropriately designed.
Given this information, I now need your thoughts on ANYTHING that will be useful for me to know about the above issues, or others, that I have not even addressed.
Thank you for your time,