Problem with OWA since installing Service Pack on Exchange 2003 Server
Posted on 2006-10-30
Since upgrading our SBS 2003 Server to Exchange Server SP1 and then SP2 we have lost the ability to log in via Outlook Web Access, either locally or from outside, even with the full domain name.
I get a reply:
You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Make sure your domain\user name and password are correct, and then try again.
On the plus side, the service packs have sorted some more serious problems we were having.
Anyway, I've tried downloading the KB843539 patch but this tells me we do not have Sp1 installed. I realise this is intended to resolve a problem with Sp1, but it was the nearest solution I could find.