Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Toner usage increases with color selection?

Posted on 2006-11-01
3
Medium Priority
?
298 Views
Last Modified: 2010-04-12
Hi, this may be odd. We have a Xerox DocuColor 2240 here, which I'm pretty sure is a CMYK laser printer ( http://www.office.xerox.com/color-multifunction/docucolor-2240/spec-enus.html ). My question, stems from a question that I was asked recently. I was asked that, since our new website design has a darker color of blue dominating it, will it use more toner when printed as opposed to our previous, light-blue design? I have a few theories but... well, that's why I'm here. :)

TIA for any insight!
0
Comment
Question by:wysardry
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 39

Accepted Solution

by:
hdhondt earned 2000 total points
ID: 17853443
You are correct.

Yes, the DocuColor 2240 is a CMYK printer. Most colour printers are, with the exception of some high-quality inkjets which use CMYK plus additional colours.

Some colours do use more toner than others. First, light tints obviously use less as they leave more white (paper) between the dots to lighten the colour. For example a 10% magenta colour only covers 10% of the possible colour dots on the page with magenta. The other 90% are empty. Hence it only uses one tenth the toner of 100% magenta.

Primary colours (cyan, magenta, yellow) obviously cannot use more than 100% coverage. However, secondary colours (red, green blue) use up to 200%. This is because, for example, red is made up by adding magenta and yellow. Hence, 100% red consists of 100% magenta and 100% yellow. Ditto for blue (cyan and magenta) and green (cyan and yellow).

Other colours use even more ink. In fact, the (theoretical) maximum is 400% ink coverage: 100% each of CMYK. In practice you can go up to around 300% - which is also PhotoShop's default ink limit. To check, open a CMYK image in PhotoShop or a similar package and check the ink values in very dark areas. The total ink coverage will be well over 100%.

Note that the figures I have used are only approximate, due to things like "dot gain" (dots spread out as they are put on the paper).

So yes, changing your website colour from dark blue to cyan will change the amount of toner/ink used.
0
 

Author Comment

by:wysardry
ID: 17853628
Thanks! That's almost what I assumed, but I definitely learned something... excellent answer.
0
 
LVL 39

Expert Comment

by:hdhondt
ID: 17855203
Glad you found it useful

H-)
0

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

If you use a Brother DCP 130C or similar Brother printer, at some point you might encounter the following problem: after you change the ink cartridge, the printer displays an "ink empty" message. Sometimes you just need to follow the instructions…
How to solve seemingly unsolvable printer issues. Users sometimes run into printing issues where all the normal steps do not seem to work. Well the steps below can show users how to take one extra step beyond the normal steps needed to remove old…
In an interesting question (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29008360/) here at Experts Exchange, a member asked how to split a single image into multiple images. The primary usage for this is to place many photographs on a flatbed scanner…
In a question here at Experts Exchange (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29062564/Adobe-acrobat-reader-DC.html), a member asked how to create a signature in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (the free Reader product, not the paid, full Acrobat produ…

604 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question