Environement: WIndows 2003 Advanced server on two DCs
The DC(#2) holding the schema master was getting flaky so I did the following:
1. Went to the good DC(#1) and attempted to seize all the roles using ntdsutil. Everything went fine except for the schema master. On the "seize schema master" command I got an error. So-o-o-o.
2. I demoted the DC#2 thinking that the normal demotion would transfer the schema master over to DC#1 but No-o-o-o.
3. I then did a dcpromo /forceremoval seeing if that would work. No go.
4. Did a simple netdom query fsmo on the good DC but I got an error (not related but why an error with netdom command on a good DC?)
5. Though it was maybe hanging entries so deleted all references to the demoted DC in Sites and Services, adsiedit Domain OU, DNS _msdcs, and domain.
6. Rebooted both servers and did a netdom query fsmo on the good DC. Still an error.
7. Did a DCdiag on the good DC and got an error on the KnowsOfRoleHolders. It loods like the reference is to the SID of the demoted server, which means it thinks that server has the schema but it is not available.
Is there a way for me to recover the schema master and get it over onto my good DC?