Replacing Windows 2000 DNS & Active Directory with new 2003 Server
Posted on 2006-11-01
I will be replacing an existing Domain controller running server 2000 with an existing 2003 server,. I have a plan but am looking for some feedback & advise.
The 2000 server is currently the only domain controller & DNS server on the network.
The 2003 server is a member of the domain and currently just a file server
Please let me know if im on track with these steps.
1. Backup both servers fully
2. Promote 2003 server as an additional domain controller
3. Configure DNS lookup zones on 2003 server
4. Promote 2003 server to primary domain controller? (this im not sure of)
5. Configure one workstation to point its DNS to the 2003 server
6. reboot workstaion and test all network & active directory functions
7. Shut down 2000 server and test network operation
8. Reconfigure all workstations DNS settings
9. Test network
10. Retire old server