No OS found after cloning disk with PowerQuest V2i
Posted on 2006-11-02
The computer has Windows 2000 Svr SP4, configured as a member server in an Windows 2003 SBS std domain.
It has a single SCSI hard disk.
I recently had to upgrade the hard disk to a larger capacity one. Decided to use PowerQuest v2i server edition which we had for a while, but not with any hard experience in restoring using it. On this occasion, I
- Disconnected (physically) the computer from the network
- Added the new (larger) hard disk with SCSI ID=1 (the existing hard disk has ID=0)
- Logon locally as administrator
- Via disk managment, added new second HDD as basic disk volume, and formatted with single NTFS partition
- Started V2i and selected to make a disk copy from existing HDD to new HDD
- Options for copy include MBR, make destination disk active, ignore bad sector, smart sector copying enabled
- Cloning appeared successful - no error messages
- Shutdown computer, removed first HDD, set new HDD to ID=0
- Restarted computer, SCSI configuration detected new HDD correctly
- Then bad news.......
- System failed to boot - message = no OS found in HDD 0!
I have not attempted to do a repair with the Windows 2000 Svr CD yet. But should I need to? Where have I gone wrong?
If you have had a similar experience and somehow found a way to resolve, I would be very happy to hear from you. Thanks in the meantime.