I'm having problems with the DHCP client on a winXP sp2 box. When DHCP is enabled, it connects and gets a valid IP address and works fine... for about 10 seconds. Then it starts releasing and renewing the IP on it's own every 10 or 15 seconds. So the connection works for a few seconds, then doesn't work for a few seconds. If I assign a static IP, the connection works great and does not drop out. It also works well in safe mode with networking. There's not really anything helpful in the event viewer... just a bunch of events saying that the connection was enabled and is operating normally at 100Mb full duplex.
I removed a bunch of spyware and a few viruses, but it still happens. Then I ran sfc /scannow to check all the system files and did a chkdsk.
I don't think the network adapter is dying since it works fine with a static IP. But this client is plugging directly into a dsl modem, and static IP isn't really an option.
I guess I could get them a router between the dsl modem and the computer and then take a static IP from the router. But I'm hoping to fix the problem without having to make them buy new equipment.