I am planning on Migrating our Server and Exchange system tonight or tommorow. I wanted to make sure my plans were going to work.
Current: Windows SBS 2000 with Exchange 2000 setup (called: server2). Single exchange server. 2nd Server as a 2nd DC hosting files. (called: file1)
New Server: Windows 2003 STD, Exchange 2003 SP2. (called: bom3)
I plan to migrate DC and exchange to the new server, and use as our main system until next weekend. Take down the current 2 servers and do a fresh load of server 2003 STD on them and use them as appserver (server2) and fileserver (file1). I do plan on DCPROMO server2 back up into a 2nd DC for backup purposed and making file1 as a member server.
1. DCPROMO down file1. (file1 server not going to be used as a DC anymore)
2. Exmerge exchange 2000 (for backup purposes)
3. Join bom3 to domain.
4. DCPROMO bom3 up to domain controller
5. Verify server replicated.
6. Use the exchange migration wizard (which ive never used) to migrate exchange. (hoping thats rather straight fwd)
7. Verify SMTP services operating properly.
8. Question: since the exchange server changed names, do I have to change outlook on all workstations? (theres 50)
If I do have to change outlook to (bom3) will all settings remain? (like outlook rules)
9. Once users are working, DCPROMO down server2 so all DC roles are on bom3.
10. Format and load 2003 server STD on server2.
11. Join server2 to domain.
12. DCPROMO up server2 as 2nd DC (for backup).
Server2 is also the DNS server, how do I get this transferend to bom3? (all computers have server2 IP as there DNS, I want bom3 to now be our DNS)
My big concern is replicating user accounts and migrating exchange database to new server so that everything is being served from bom3 and I can safely take down server2. Im not sure if I can just move the priv1.edb file or what. I have read a lot about this online but theres always a little bit different situation, so i wanted your guidance to confirm.
I thank you in advance for your expertise.