Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Receiving’ reported error (0x800CCC90)

Posted on 2006-11-06
5
Medium Priority
?
1,547 Views
Last Modified: 2012-08-13
I have an exchange server that some users log into as a pop3 mail server. One of my users gets the following message:

Receiving’ reported error (0x800CCC90): ‘your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). The server responded: =20’

It was working fine until today. Any ideas? Thank you!
0
Comment
Question by:Cubbybulin
  • 3
5 Comments
 

Author Comment

by:Cubbybulin
ID: 17882876
Oh, and every time she connects, it just keeps downloading the last 30 or so undread emails over and over again.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Cubbybulin
ID: 17882906
Oh and she is the only one receiving the error, uses outlook 2003, and when i added her account on my computer, i got the same error.
0
 
LVL 104

Accepted Solution

by:
Sembee earned 1000 total points
ID: 17884184
Probably a corrupt message. Get the user to login to OWA and delete the message that is blocking.

Even better idea - ditch POP3. If you are on Exchange 2003/Windows 2003 with Outlook 2003/Windows XP on the client then you can probably use RPC over HTTPS. POP3 is an awful protocol that doesn't let you use all of the features of Exchange.

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Cubbybulin
ID: 17884200
thanks, I already fixed it, indeed, it was a corrupt message.
0
 

Expert Comment

by:GretchenKuhn
ID: 25770785
The solution "probably a corrupt message" was the clue I needed to figure out what was keeping my incoming email messages from downloading into Outlook and generating the error.  I figured it was one of the messages from the time it quit working.  II discovered which one it was by moving all the emails out of my inbox on the email server into a folder I created in the email utility.  One email (from my brother no less) would not move and would not delete.  I used the "purge" command which did remove it and it fixed it.  
0

Featured Post

Problems using Powershell and Active Directory?

Managing Active Directory does not always have to be complicated.  If you are spending more time trying instead of doing, then it's time to look at something else. For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Are you an Exchange administrator employed with an organization? And, have you encountered a corrupt Exchange database due to which you are not able to open its EDB file. This article will explain all the steps to repair corrupt Exchange database.
Steps to fix error: “Couldn’t mount the database that you specified. Specified database: HU-DB; Error code: An Active Manager operation fail”
In this video we show how to create a Resource Mailbox in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: Navigate to the Recipients >> Resources tab.: "Recipients" is our default selection …
Exchange organizations may use the Journaling Agent of the Transport Service to archive messages going through Exchange. However, if the Transport Service is integrated with some email content management application (such as an antispam), the admini…
Suggested Courses

972 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question