DNS & CNAME issue

Help!

I've a really urgent issue with a BIND DNS server.

I needed to add an A record for a server to the mydomain.be zone, I also noticed there was a CNAME for the same server pointing somewhere else, so I deleted it and just added the A record, changed the serial number and saved.

Now more than 12 hours later the url is still pointing to the CNAME and not the new A record.

I'm stuck; I've checked everything I can think of... Any help much appreciated as quickly as possible.

Thanks!


Sunny-BrusselsAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
ravenplConnect With a Mentor Commented:
I'm sorry, but You have to find proper config to modify
host -t soa mydomain.be # will tell You where the master nameserver is(if it's configures properly) - it's the first value from SOA record.
Find it's IP, go there, modify the proper zone file, restart(make the named not running for sure).
I will not help You anymore - I will not find the proper config for You, but read /etc/named.conf file to find it out. Also note my previous note: bind can run chrooted, then all paths should be extended with chroot prefix (eg. /var/named).
0
 
ravenplCommented:
> Now more than 12 hours later the url is still pointing to the CNAME and not the new A record.
have You restarted named as well?
It's normal that propagation of the record lasts from 1 upto 2 days. It depends on the TTL value You set.
To verify Your nameserver ask him directly:
host the.name.to.ask ip.of.Your.dnsserver
host -a the.name.to.ask ip.of.Your.dnsserver
0
 
Sunny-BrusselsAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I have restarted named, and I've typed in the commands you mention and indeed it still does have a CNAME pointing to another server. Looks like the TTL is set to 600.

0
The new generation of project management tools

With monday.com’s project management tool, you can see what everyone on your team is working in a single glance. Its intuitive dashboards are customizable, so you can create systems that work for you.

 
ravenplCommented:
If it still serves the CNAME, then it propably uses another configuration file from the one You used, OR it was not really restarted.
BTW: You sure You are changing it on master nameserver - not slave?
verify if serial was bumped to the value You set with: host -t soa domain.to.ask ip.of.server
0
 
ravenplCommented:
bind usually runs in chroot - that's why it's possible that You modified wrong file.
eg.
there is
/var/named/somedoman.tld
and
/var/named/var/named/somedoman.tld

sometimes startup script (like /etc/rc.d/init.d/named) populates the changes, sometimes doesn't.
0
 
Sunny-BrusselsAuthor Commented:
There are 2 DNS servers here, wires were crossed and I was working on the secondary, which I am told is a reverse proxy for mydomain.be.

So, I have gone to DNS1, and looked in the master directory and edited the mydomain.be config file, there was no CNAME line for my server anyhow, so I just added the A record.

I did the query you mention, it says 2006080201 in the zone file it says 2006080204

No change, still points to the CNAME :(



0
 
Sunny-BrusselsAuthor Commented:
I was in the right file.

 I managed to get a result by doing a# kill -HUP # on the process.

You helped me and I'm grateful for that and I've learnt somethings I didn't know.

Thanks!
0
 
ravenplCommented:
> I managed to get a result by doing a# kill -HUP # on the process.
It only shows, that named was not restarted!
HUP instructs running named to reread configuration files.
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.