One of my user is experiencing a wierd problem. He is not able to receive external new emails in his Inbox. I checked on the server and it shows it has delivered those emails to the Inbox but I am not able to find those emails in his Inbox.
We use Microsoft Exchange 2003 and Microsoft Outlook 2003.
I did a test by sending some test emails from yahoo and gmail and hotmail and I checked on the server and it shows that it has delivered emails to the inbox (tried microsoft tracking tool on exchange) but there are no emails in the Inbox - there is no outlook rule or anything, checked junk folder, deleted items folder but nothing. I even deleted the outlook profile, deleted files from the location documents and settings/username/local settings/application data/microsoft/outlook and then created a new profile but still I couldnt get those emails.
I even tried to use OWA but that even didnt show those external emails.
Internal email is working fine but he is not able to receive external emails since last few days.
I ran Scanost on the ost file that is created with the new profile but no success.