Updates to MS Office 2004 fail
Posted on 2006-11-09
Background details = MacBook Pro, Mac OS 10.4.8, Microsoft Office 2004 installed from Dec 2004 install disc.
When trying to update Office the following error message is displayed:
"The installer could not locate the correct version of the software required to install this update. See the Read Me file included with this installer to determine if your software meets the requirements for this update."
I have tried the following with unsuccessful results:
1. Uninstalling Office using the Remove Office tool and reinstalling...
2. Manually uninstalling Office following the steps in Microsoft KB #312172 and then reinstalling...
3. Both of these steps from a different user profile that also has admin privileges.
4. Using a different installation CD, BTW - both work on other Macs..
5. Downloading the update files from Microsoft individually, and trying to install any of them manually = exact same result.
6. Also tried repairing all permissions before attempting the updates after a fresh install.
Other notes: Virus Scanning software is turned off, and the "test drive version" that comes with office was (I think) completely removed.
Thanks for your help.