Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Please help identify connector manufacturer logo

Posted on 2006-11-12
28
Medium Priority
?
1,362 Views
Last Modified: 2010-05-18
We've been trying to identify this company logo for a couple of weeks now.  I'm starting to run out of options.  Anybody want to take a look and help out?

http://www.ecmtuning.com/images/forums/connectors/dual-8pin-logo.jpg

I believe the "SJD" part (where "S" is really an electric bolt looking thing) is a company logo.  "PBT" is just the material the connector housing is made of.  We need to contact these guys, but they've managed to stay pretty secret.  You'd think they'd like to take our money...

I'm marking this urgent because we really do need it quickly.  I'm marking it as extremely difficult because so far, after contacting several brokers and such, nobody has been able to identify the company.  Help!?

Thomas Dorris
0
Comment
Question by:twdorris
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 11
  • 7
  • 4
  • +3
28 Comments
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17924948
It would help to know what product this logo comes from...and what else the manufacture
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17924958
Well, it's a connector.  They manufacturer connectors.  I don't know what else they make because I don't know who they are.

You can get a picture of the front side of this particular connetor here.

http://www.ecmtuning.com/images/forums/connectors/dual-8pin-1.jpg

Thomas Dorris
0
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17924967
what does the connector attach too?
0
Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17924981
any other markings?
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17925006
That particular connector just attaches to a mating connector.  It's just a wire to wire connector series.  These are often used in an automotive environment.  I have reason to believe that this company makes connectors for Subaru, Mitsubishi, and some Hondas.  So I have to think it's an asian company of some sort.

Thomas Dorris
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17925011
Sorry, I do not see any other markings.  That same "SJD" logo appears on the connector housing as well as on the pin insulators and that orange plastic separator piece you see in the front view (dual-8pin-1.jpg).

Thomas Dorris
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17925015
Oh, one last thing.  I have located other connectors used in similar cars from a company called Korea Electric Terminal (KET).  But they do not appear to make this particular connector nor do they use this "SJD" logo.

Thomas Dorris
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:moorhouselondon
ID: 17925315
What about Siemens?
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:moorhouselondon
ID: 17925320
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:moorhouselondon
ID: 17925361
Looks like a very meaty connector.  ITE Siemens do Circuit Breakers but they are High Voltage, High Current devices.

http://www.baybreakers.com/catalog/search.html?types=SJD&mfg=17&start=10
www.petersonpanel.com/siemensdoc/sensitrip/Senjd-ib.pdf
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17925404
> What about Siemens?

Interesting.  I'll look into them more.  Right now, though, I don't see any connector housings available off their site.

> Looks like a very meaty connector.

Sorry, the picture is misleading then.  That particular connector only measures 21.2mm x 29.6mm.  Pin width is 2.2mm.  I'm not too focused on that one connector, though.  Although it will be needed as well.  It's more the company that makes the connector that I'm really interested in.  I'm generally very surprised at how difficult it has been to identify that manufacturer.

0
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17925761
0
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17925802
perhaps, you may want to elaborate why you need that particular manufacurer?  Was it because you want to manufacture your own connector?

If so, then there are many Taiwan or Chinese plants that would accomodate you.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:magnetic_kisser
ID: 17926103
hey leave all this hard doing .......take the connector to a net shop , cable administrator , a few companies and a few networking shops , visit some local electronic markets and u will easily find that part .....it is that simple why are u doing so much of hard work in finding it on the net .. :)
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17927058
> perhaps, you may want to elaborate why you need that particular manufacurer?
> Was it because you want to manufacture your own connector?

I do not want to make my own connector if I can avoid it.  We do have a mold shop (domestic) spooled up to do it if I have to, but that's $10k and a bunch of time that I'd MUCH rather spend on something else.  Besides, if I go that route, I'm left with one connector.  But this manufacturer makes several others I'd like to have as well later.  We need to make cables that plug into these connectors.  The connectors already exist on a number of cars.  We need to plug into these pre-existing connectors.  So we need *that* specific connector.  Which is why I would like to ID that specific logo.

> If so, then there are many Taiwan or Chinese plants that would accomodate you.

Do you have some recommendations?  I've spoken with 3 or 4 random shops like this out that way as well.  But it was near impossible to communicate the simplest of concepts to them through the language barrier.   I have no confidence I would get what I need in terms of connector replication.

> take the connector to a net shop , cable administrator , a few companies and
> a few networking shops , visit some local electronic markets and u will easily
> find that part

And how much would you charge to do this on contract if I send you a few samples?  Seriously.  Because I've been down that path myself and came up empty.  I've spoken with various domestic automotive connector housing manufacturers including Amp and Power & Signal (Delphi/GM/PED).  Nobody recognizes that connector (or any of the related connectors I mentioned above).  I've also spoken (as best I could) with 4 or 5 Chinese and Korean manufacturers.  The ones that reply do not recognize the connector either.  This same manufacturer produces connectors used on *millions* of cars (Mitsubishi, Subaru, & Honda), but nobody I've sent pictures to or spoken with can tell me who makes it.  I've even contacted these guys:

http://www.fleckresearch.com/aboutus.htm

They seem to be as near to experts in this very field as you can get and they did not recognize the connector either.  Well, let me restate that.  The first guy said he'd seen the logo before but couldn't recall the name yet and he'd get back to me when he returned from a trip to Germany this week.  Ugh.  Hopefully he will, but I've heard "I'll get back to you" before, so I'm going to keep pushing forward on other fronts until I've exhausted all options.

Thomas Dorris

0
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17927101
If the connector already exists in the car. perhaps you can write the auto manufacturer and ask about that specific part.
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17927135
> perhaps you can write the auto manufacturer and ask about that specific part.

Hey, why not?  I've officially asked everyone else on the planet now.  :)  Mitsubishi doesn't exactly respond to my letters, though.  I've written and phoned them in the past in attempts to locate some of their scan tools. But who knows?  Might as well try again.

Thomas Dorris
0
 
LVL 30

Expert Comment

by:Irwin Santos
ID: 17927162
it may be a "Trade secret" thing...or maybe you need to grease them with $$..
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:moorhouselondon
ID: 17928347
Years ago I needed a switch for a clients IBM pc which had got broken.  "Somehow" I managed to contact the manufacturer and they sent me a dozen samples free of charge from Eire - they didn't even charge me postage and packing.

---

Taking a different tack: these connectors are used in Consumer products.  Therefore they have to be made of components that don't catch fire, don't give off noxious gases, etc., etc. which means that they have been through some kinds of regulatory hoops somewhere along the design, testing path.  There might be some mileage in  this kind of approach, particularly if the manufacturer of the target vehicle thinks you are enquiring in a compliance capacity.  

Faced with this kind of problem I would take a look in the IEE* Library (by the Embankment between Charing Cross and Temple) and have a chat with them there - in the past I have found them very helpful.  If you are elsewhere in the world there are similar Institutions that will be able to help.  

* Institution of Electrical Engineers
0
 
LVL 17

Expert Comment

by:RDAdams
ID: 17931112
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17932956
> http://www.jdelectrical.com.au/

That logo does look similar, doesn't it?  But, unfortunately, that company doesn't produce connectors.

Thomas Dorris
0
 
LVL 39

Expert Comment

by:PUNKY
ID: 17933747
That is Tyco connector. You can contact their sale / technical support for more detail.

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/ 
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17933856
> That is Tyco connector.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Do you have a Tyco part number?  We have not found anything matching this in the Tyco (AMP) catalogs that we have access to .

Thomas Dorris
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17933883
> Molex is other company that makes connector

We also have a good bit of experience with Molex connectors as well.  This is not one of theirs as far as we can tell.

Thomas Dorris
0
 
LVL 39

Accepted Solution

by:
PUNKY earned 2000 total points
ID: 17934107
Check out:

http://connectors.globalspec.com/ProductFinder/Electrical_Electronic_Components/Connectors 

But you need to registry before you can search.
0
 

Author Comment

by:twdorris
ID: 17935079
> Check out:
http://connectors.globalspec.com/ProductFinder/Electrical_Electronic_Components/Connectors

Well, I'll be.  I've hit that site 10 times before but never bothered to register because it just looked like "yet another search site".  So tonigth I decided to give it a try because you suggested it.  Sure enough, after a little digging, this site came up.

http://www.mcausa.com/indexAuto.html

The irony, of course, is that it was a freaking Mitsubishi subsidiary all along!  Not Mitsubishi the motor company, but Mitsubishi the cable company.  

Geez.

Thomas Dorris
0
 
LVL 39

Expert Comment

by:PUNKY
ID: 17935454
You can find everything there, not only just a connector. Good luck and thanks for the accept.

BR.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: Port Scanner

Check which ports are open to the outside world. Helps make sure that your firewall rules are working as intended.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Learn more about the importance of email disclaimers with our top 10 email disclaimer DOs and DON’Ts.
An introduction to the wonderful sport of Scam Baiting.  Learn how to help fight scammers by beating them at their own game. This great pass time helps the world, while providing an endless source of entertainment. Enjoy!
Saved searches can save you time by quickly referencing commonly searched terms on any topic. Whether you are looking for questions you can answer or hoping to learn about a specific issue, a saved search can help you get the most out of your time o…
Where to go on the main page to find the job listings. How to apply to a job that you are interested in from the list that is featured on our Careers page.
Suggested Courses

598 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question