Expand Raid 5 array (3 x 36Gb) with a 72Gb disk
Posted on 2006-11-13
We have a 72Gb disk that we would like to add to an existing Raid 5 array consisting of 3 disks of 36Gb, running on a Dell Poweredge 2600 with Perc 4/di with Windows 2003 Server. Array has 2 partitions - C: is 5Gb and D: is 67Gb (total of 72Gb). Here's what we plan on doing:
1) Backup the 2 partitions using Norton Ghost
2) Add the 72Gb, and reconfigure the array to expand using this new drive, for a total of 144Gb.
3) Restore the partition images with Ghost, enlarging at the same time the C: partition to 20Gb, and assigning the rest to D:
1) Does it matter if the added drive size is larger ? Will it add the full 72Gb of space to the Raid 5 array or will it only consider only 36Gb since the existing 3 drives are 36Gb
If we were not to use Ghost to restore the images:
2) Can we "expand" an array without loosing the data on the partitions on the array
3) Once the raid is expanded, could you modify the D: partition to use the new available space without having to recreate the partition (backup to ghost image, erase partition - recreate larger - restore ghost image to larger partition ) ?