Solved

I am getting "The DNS test failed" when doing a DNS Blacklists tests on GFI Mail essentials 12 with Exchange 2003. How do I fix it?

Posted on 2006-11-13
6
2,119 Views
Last Modified: 2012-06-27
I am getting "The DNS test failed" when doing a DNS Blacklists tests on GFI Mail essentials 12 with Exchange 2003.  It had been working all along.    I added a few more blacklists and the tests were good initially.  All of a sudden the tests started to fail. . .  How do I fix it?  thx.  
0
Comment
Question by:wang0162
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
  • 2
6 Comments
 
LVL 38

Accepted Solution

by:
Hypercat (Deb) earned 500 total points
ID: 17934086
This indicates some change or problem on the part of the organization that runs the RBL website.  You'd have to contact whoever is running that RBL and find out if perhaps they have changed the URL for blacklist checking.  Or, perhaps they have been taken down completely.  Which ones are failing?
0
 

Author Comment

by:wang0162
ID: 17934322
The challenge is that they all state "Enabled" for each of the blacklists name.  I will try to delete them all and try to re-add one by one. .
0
 

Author Comment

by:wang0162
ID: 17934351
Looks like this is the culprit:  t1.dnsbl.net.au  thanks!
0
 
LVL 38

Expert Comment

by:Hypercat (Deb)
ID: 17935897
Just a followup comment for future reference - just because they say "enabled" in GFI doesn't mean they actually work correctly. RBL lists come and go, and some are more reliable than others.  I tend to use just one or two consistently that I know work.  The ones I use for the most part are: relays.ordb.org and bl.spamcop.net.  If you use just the most reliable ones, you only need the one or two, and the others are redundant.

Cheers!
0
 

Expert Comment

by:f00ey
ID: 23215745
my surbl listings were failing, me11 and exchange 2k3....this server was also a dns server...I cleared the cached within the dns server and bingo, no more dns failed tests....
0

Featured Post

Technology Partners: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

Title # Comments Views Activity
Mailbox Delegation List 45 119
Exchange Server 2007 to 2013 Migration 13 60
Can I have 2 essentials servers in one doamin? 4 32
MS Exchange 2016 license 5 33
This article explains how to install and use the NTBackup utility that comes with Windows Server.
How to resolve IMCEAEX NDRs in Exchange or Exchange Online related to invalid X500 addresses.
In this video we show how to create an Accepted Domain in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow >> Ac…
In this video we show how to create an email address policy in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Mail Flow…

732 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question