I have a custom intel server box with the works from 6 years ago. This server is the primary DC and Exchange 2000 box for a pretty large company. Believe me, when I saw it, I was in shock. I want to move both services to a new box. What do you think is the best route? Here's what I was going to do.
1. On current 'old' server perform a windows NT backup of the system state.
2. I have a brand new server with everything, the works...
3. Load Windows 2000 Server - their IT and Management Departments want to stay with Windows 2000 - there was no convincing them.
4. Run all service packs and sercurity updates.
5. On the new server load up DC services and add it to the domain.
6. Move over the roles to this server and run an authoritive update - they want to remain with Windows 2000 Server.
7. Install Exchange 2000 Server with /disasterrecovery switch????
8. Copy priv1.edb & .stm and pub1.edb and .stm to the new Exchange directory under mdbdata????
After all this is done, I have a second new server that will be added to the domain for further reduncy.
What do you guys think? Maybe there is another method? Another route? Longer but safer route? Shorter but more risker route?