Windows Firewall, System Restore, Services, and desktop problems
Posted on 2006-11-14
I made the all too common mistake of leaving my young kid in the computer room alone. I come back and now I have several issues that I've tried to unsuccessfully fix. I'll list what I can here but as I've been working on these things for 2 days, I'm bound to forget something. I use Windows XP (plain, not with SP2, though I have SP2 through downloads).
1. Windows Firewall does not start up as it used to.
- Tried turning it on through the Control Panel - Windows Firewall. Error Message: "Windows Firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service not running. Do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service?" If i select Yes, I get "Windows cannot start the ICS service."
- Same error occurs when I go through the Security Center.
- Trying to start the service manually results in this error: "Could not start the windows firewall connection sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."
2. I use Avast! as my anti-virus program. It used to boot up with the computer, but now it won't. I've tried reinstalling but no good.
3. Can't get to a Services properties. I can click properties button and do it by the right click menu but nothing happens.
4. Can't copy and paste in IE and in explorer windows.
5. Can't drag and drop icons on the desktop or in any explorer windows. I can select them but can't move them around.
6. No matter how what I open, it does not show up on the task bar. task bar has the Clock, Quick Launch, and a whole bunch of blank space in between. If I had 6 applications up and running I'd only know of one of them due to it being up. Other than that, you have to alt-tab to see what's open.
7. System Restore does not work. Just does not work.a If you try to start the service manually, you get: "Could not start the windows firewall connection sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."
8. No Sound.
I can get on the net, but i'm afraid to since i have no protection. I can even still use filesharing with my other computer.
I've run several virus scans in safe mode and anti-spyware. I've come up clean each time. Used PCTools to clean up the registry, too. Checked nic card to see if it was being recognized, it was. Checked sound card for the same, it was recognized, too. It appears all my "Devices are working properly".
I've used the Windows XP Repair option with the CD. I've done the chkdsk /R 3 times, no luck. I would love to be able to reinstall windows xp but I can't afford to lose my files. Is there a way to do that?
I know I am forgetting to mention things that are not right or things I've tried but hopefully this can start a good discussion.
Thanks so much for the advice and remember,
God wants you to help me.