Solved

Webservices & Babelfish Error

Posted on 2006-11-14
3
344 Views
Last Modified: 2013-12-24
I'm just starting to play around with webservices and an AJAX call to a cfc and have run into an issue with babelfish which appears to be a bug with the service but I'm wondering if it's an issue with something i'm doing wrong

This bit works
<cfset transstring = "My text. To provide many people an opportunity to try some food and have some fun. Those with ears will like it too. Another friend wanted some things and I"

but
<cfset transstring = "My text. To provide many people an opportunity to try some food and have some fun. Those with ears will like it too. Another friend wanted some things and I thought"

fails because the first occurrence of an accent character returned is in pensé the translation of the last word "thought".

length of the text doesn't seem to matter

<cfset transstring = "i would like to go swimming in the pool"> works

<cfset transstring = "i would like to go swimming in the summer"> fails (été)  



the error returned is

"    Could not perform web service invocation "BabelFish".
 Here is the fault returned when invoking the web service operation:

AxisFault

 faultCode: {http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/}Server.userException
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
 faultActor:
 faultNode:
 faultDetail:
      {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}stackTrace:java.io.UTFDataFormatException: Invalid byte 2 of 3-byte UTF-8 sequence.
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.io.UTF8Reader.invalidByte(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.io.UTF8Reader.read(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScanner.load(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLEntityScanner.scanContent(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanContent(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configuration.parse(Unknown Source)
      at org.apache.xerces.parsers.XML11Configu... </pre>


the code in the cfc is

<cfinvoke
  webservice = "http://www.xmethods.net/sd/2001/BabelFishService.wsdl"
  method = "BabelFish"
  returnVariable = "translated">

<cfinvokeargument name="translationmode" value="en_fr" />
<cfinvokeargument name="sourcedata" value="#transstring#" />
</cfinvoke>

ca anyone replicate this...

anyone have any workarounds if it is a bug...


0
Comment
Question by:SidFishes
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 20

Accepted Solution

by:
trailblazzyr55 earned 500 total points
ID: 17942408
I'm not sure, I tried this myself and got the same error, I also went to a site that used the babel fish web service for sample translation and it choked on the same strings your's had problems with. However I couldn't find anything in relation to setting an encoding so you could return a translation without an error. I have a feeling it's a limit to the web service or at least a free version, haven't used it too much myself to know more or if there's a different version with that fixed...

~trail
0
 
LVL 36

Author Comment

by:SidFishes
ID: 17942719
what i figured...frustrating though as a translation webservice that can't handle characters created by the translation (duh) is somewhat pointless...I'll leave the q open and see if anyone else has ideas.
0
 
LVL 36

Author Comment

by:SidFishes
ID: 17947257
It's not a bug, it's a feature!  whee...

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXISCPP-964

apparently it works fine when the web service server is running OS/400 but oops...nothing else as there is no appropriate translation step...

ah well...

pts to trail for taking the time to verify
0

Featured Post

U.S. Department of Agriculture and Acronis Access

With the new era of mobile computing, smartphones and tablets, wireless communications and cloud services, the USDA sought to take advantage of a mobilized workforce and the blurring lines between personal and corporate computing resources.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

One of the typical problems I have experienced is when you have to move a web server from one hosting site to another. You normally prepare all on the new host, transfer the site, change DNS and cross your fingers hoping all will be ok on new server…
If you don't have the right permissions set for your WordPress location in IIS, you won't be able to perform automatic updates. Here's how to fix the problem.
With Secure Portal Encryption, the recipient is sent a link to their email address directing them to the email laundry delivery page. From there, the recipient will be required to enter a user name and password to enter the page. Once the recipient …
Suggested Courses

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question